Data Protection Policy
The Lydian Singers (hereafter referred to as The Choir) is committed to protecting your privacy and security. This Notice explains how and why we use your personal data, and to ensure you remain informed and in control of your data.
"We" and "Us" refer to The Choir, represented by its committee.
"Personal data" - any data which identifies you, or which can be identified as relating to you personally.
For the purposes of data protection law, The Choir will be the data controller and data processor.
"Members" – regular attendees of Choir rehearsals and concerts and who pay a subscription.
"Concert Volunteers/Associates" (Friends of Lydian) – non-Members who assist us on a per-concert basis.
3. WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT
3.1 Personal data you provide
We collect personally identifiable data you provide to us. This includes information you give when:
- communicating with The Choir
- payment is taken by The Choir for membership subscriptions and music subscriptions.
- you require reimbursement for expenditure made on behalf of The Choir.
The data can include:
- Your name, address, telephone number and email address.
3.2 Personal data that we create
We will produce photographic images of The Choir from time to time, for use on the website, in social media and for the purposes of promoting The Choir.
4. HOW WE USE INFORMATION
We only ever use your personal data where it is necessary to enter into, or perform, a contract with you, or for our own lawful, legitimate interests, provided your rights don't override these. In any event, we'll use your information only for the purpose or purposes for which it was collected (or for closely related purposes):
4.1 Administration of Membership
We use Members' personal data for administrative purposes i.e. in order to organise, run and administer The Choir (which would not be possible if we could not hold and process this data). This includes:
- maintaining a database of Choir Members from year to year
- maintaining an archive of photographic images of The Choir for use on the website and social media (Individuals can elect not to appear in photos)
- informing members of rehearsal arrangements, concert arrangements and short-notice rehearsal cancellations
- sending out information promoting The Choir, its activities and achievements
- receiving payments for subscriptions, and for fulfilling other services
- sending out occasional Newsletters by email/post.
4.2 Concert Volunteers/Associates (Friends of Lydian)
We will also maintain a database of Friends of Lydians' details. However we will request their consent to retain their details every year. These details will be held by the committee and stored as in no.7 below. Headings 5 onwards will also apply to Friends of Lydian.
4.3 Promoting The Choir
We will make use of social media and the Press to promote The Choir, including photographs that we have obtained.
5. DISCLOSING AND SHARING DATA
We will never sell your personal data, nor share it with another company or charity for marketing purposes.
Your personal data will be shared amongst the committee members of The Choir and designated volunteers who undertake specific tasks on the committee's behalf, in order that we can fulfil our legitimate interests, including meeting our obligations to the Members of The Choir.
6. HOW WE PROTECT DATA
To protect your personal information, we will take whatever precautions we can and ensure it is not inappropriately lost, misused, accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed. Personal data collected and used by The Choir will be stored on, or accessed via, password-protected computers always kept in the homes/offices of committee members or designated volunteers, and these may be backed up securely to a local device. Any paper-based records containing personal data will be kept in a locked location.
7.1 Where we store information
The Choir's operations are based in the UK we store our data within the UK.
7.2 How long we store information
We will only use and store information for so long as it is required for the purposes it was collected for. In general terms, we will retain Members' personal data for up to 3 years following its last use, after which it will be deleted – an example of this is the personal data associated with Members who have not been participating in rehearsals and concerts during that period. Consent to hold Friends of Lydians' personal details will be obtained every year. However, if you request that we erase all your personal data, then that will be actioned as soon as possible. Each year within a month of the reconvening of The Choir in the Autumn term, we will review the information we hold and delete that which is no longer required.
8. CONTROL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
8.1 Your rights
You may exercise the following legal rights regarding your personal data which The Choir collects and uses:
- the right to confirmation as to whether or not we have your personal data and, if we do, to obtain a copy of the personal information we hold about you
- the right to have your data erased
- the right to have inaccurate data corrected
- the right to object to your data being used for any purpose.
For further information on your rights or if wish to exercise them, please make contact using the details in 10 below.
Complaints to The Choir should be directed via email to the contact address in 10 below. If you are not happy with our response, or you believe that your data protection or privacy rights have been infringed, you can complain to the UK Information Commissioner's Office which regulates and enforces data protection law in the UK. Details of how to do this can be found at www.ico.org.uk.
9. CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
10. QUESTIONS AND CONTACT INFORMATION